Selon le site de la Fondation Canadienne des Communications:
CINW(CFCF)-AM, Montreal, Corus Entertainment Inc
Marconi’s attempt to add voice transmission to his wireless telegraphy (dots and dashes) failed to reach commercial acceptance until 1914 when the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company in Montreal acquired the rights to Reginald Fessenden's patents.
World War I caused governments to curtail these experiments and concentrate on war related contracts.
Over the next few years, there were newspaper reports of rumours of experimental radio activity by the Marconi Company – but since there were few radio receivers, these rumours were not substantiated.
In 1919, after the war, the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company was granted an experimental radio licence in Montreal. Extensive experiments were conducted on XWA before CFCF was granted its licence in 1920.
On May 20, XWA broadcast the first "real" radio program in the world from studios on the top floor of the Marconi plant on William Street.
XWA became CFCF on November 4. CFCF opened on 440 meters with 500 watts
and the station had Canada's first broadcast studio, in The Canada Cement Building in Phillips Square. The station was owned be the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company.
Power was increased to 2,000 watts.
CFCF switched to 730 kHz with 1,650 watts, sharing time with CHYC and CKAC.
Studios moved to the penthouse of The Mount Royal Hotel.
CFCF switched from 730 to 1030 kHz.
In November, CFCF affiliated with NBC.
CFCF changed from 1030 to 600 kHz.
Studios moved to the King's Hall Building on Ste. Catherine St. W.
Power increased to 500 watts.
In January, CFCF's King's Hall studios were destroyed by fire. The station relocated to Cote des Neiges.
CFCF increased power to 5,000 watts full-time DA-1.
CFCF moved its transmitter to The Kahnawake Indian Reserve. Four 282 foot towers are used.
CFCF's studios at Cote des Neiges were hit by fire. The station moved to the Dominion Square Building.
CFCF launched CFCF-FM (later CFQR-FM) on 92.5 mHz with 41,200 watts power.
CFCF-AM-FM & CFCX-SW Joined CFCF-TV at a new studio & office complex at 405 Ogilvy Avenue.
Because of the CRTC's new foreign ownership regulations, Canadian Marconi Co. was forced to sell its stations. Canadian Marconi was an ineligible owner because slightly more than 50% of its shares were owned by Canmar Investment Co. Ltd. which was controlled by a company in the UK (English Electric). The remaining shares were owned by some 22,000 shareholders, some of whom were non-Canadian.
On July 6, Stuart W. Griffiths on behalf of a company to be incorporated (representing Bushnell Communications of Ottawa) was given approval to purchase the stations.
On March 31, the licences for the Canadian Marconi stations were extended to December 31 because Bushnell was unable to proceed with purchase for various reasons, including the inability to arrange the necessary financing. The contract between Marconi and Bushnell expired on February 26 and the licences would have expired March 31. The extensions gave Canadian Marconi time to find a new buyer.
A new purchaser was found and on December 23, CFCF Ltd. was authorized to purchase the stations. CFCF Ltd. was 80% owned by CHUM Ltd. of Toronto and 20% by Canadian Marconi. There was a catch however. CHUM would have to sell CFCF-AM (and CFCX-SW) and CFQR-FM in Montreal as well as CKVR-TV in Barrie, Ontario.
Not happy about the conditions placed on the purchase of the Canadian Marconi stations, CHUM decided not to proceed with the acquisition.
In June, the Canadian Marconi licences were extended yet again to allow time for a new purchaser to be found. The licences were extended to December 31, 1972.
Toronto based Multiple Access Ltd. was given permission on July 20 to purchase CFCF-AM (CFCX-SW), CFQR-FM and CFCF-TV from Canadian Marconi Co. The company would move its head office to Montreal. It should be noted that Multiple Access had no previous broadcasting experience.
On July 6th, Multiple Access sold the CFCF stations to CFCF Inc. The new owner was headed by Jean Adelard Pouliot, who had been President and CEO of Tele-Capitale Ltd. As was the case with the 1972 sale, there were other companies that wanted to buy the CFCF stations...among them, Baton Broadcasting Inc. of Toronto (CFTO-TV).
In December, CFCF radio moved to a new extension of the 405 Ogilvy Avenue building to make room for CF Cable.
On December 16, CFCF increased power from 5,000 watts unlimited to 10,000 day, 5,000 night from the same site.
Mount Royal Broadcasting Inc. (Pierre Arcand and Pierre Beland) CFCF-AM, CFQR-FM and CFCX Shortwave stations from CFCF Inc. (which kept CFCF-TV).
Studios moved to 1200 McGill College Avenue (suite 300) on May 1.
On September 9 at 12:01 a.m., CFCF became CIQC "Country 600". CFCF had an adult standards format.
In March, CIQC switched from Country to Talk.
On July 1, CIQC-AM and CFQR-FM relocated to the CKVL-CKOI Building at 211 Gordon Avenue in Verdun.
On June 21, CIQC 600 was given approval to use CBM’s old 940 kHz frequency and to increase power from 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night to 50,000 watts day and night. The station would offer an all news service with a local and regional focus.
In November CINW (CIQC’s replacement) started testing on 940 kHz. The transmitter site for 940 would be the existing 600 facility on Highway 138 near the Kahnawake Reserve. It should be noted that in the early days of testing, 940 was actually using the call letters CKNN.
Regular programming on CIQC 600 came to an end on December 13 and the station was replaced the following day by CINW all-news (English) “940 News”.
After simulcasting CINW 940 since December, CIQC 600 went silent just after midnight on April 23.
Corus Entertainment Inc. purchased Metromedia CMR Broadcasting Inc. from Les Placements Belcand Mont-Royal inc.
In September, CINW “940 News” dropped its all-news format to becme “AM 940, Montreal Radio” with a news-talk format.
Written by Bill Dulmage - May, 2006